photo home_zps6ae9a4a3.png  photo meettheteacher_zpsc75489a5.png  photo myclassroom_zpsedbc3ed3.png  photo freebies_zps03bb362b.png

Friday, January 3, 2014

Winter Fun!

      Good morning!  In just a few short days I will be headed back to school.  As I prepare myself for January I was reflecting back on December.  I want to make one comment as I go forth.  I am an avid blog and instagram stalker and a pinterest follower to many wonderful, extraordinary teachers.  I love all the wonderful ideas floating around out there!!  I often ask myself...how do they do it?   In particular...how do they have time for all that "cute" stuff.  I love cute stuff as much as the next teacher.  Trust me...anyone who knows me knows I am a lover of all things cute!   
       Well, as we prepared to go on break, I decided I was making time for some "cute." We took a break from our reading series and we had "snow much fun."  We read some of my favorite snowman books and made these cute little guys.


{Snowmen at Night}



These guys are all over pinterest in varying forms.  I love them!  I know a lot of teachers do their "snowman" fun in January...but I have several students who do not celebrate Christmas so I could not do "Christmas cute" and I knew that January would be jam packed with mid-year testing and, hopefully, a couple snow days!   
      We also made our "Handprint" ornaments.  Yet another wonderful idea that is all over pinterest.  


   
Something I did do this year that I will definitely do again...I bought large, flat ornaments that look like this....

   

    They were so much easier for my firsties to hold and decorate than the round ones!
        Aside from that we did do a little science!  I had seen an idea from a 3rd or 4th grade teacher to do "Candy Cane" Science.  I have been making a very conscious effort to do more science in my classroom so I decided this would be perfect!  I made this little recording sheet...


{Candy Cane Science}
Click on picture to get your own copy!


Before beginning we made a chart of our predictions and the students were amazed to see what happened to their candy canes.  Several of the students said their candy canes "melted."  After break, I am going to take time to discuss this and do another experiment where we melt the candy canes so they can see the difference.  Please check back to see how that goes!!  I will keep you posted.  
         I hope your first day back, if you haven't already had it, is a great one!





4 comments :

  1. OMG obsessed with your blog name! LOL I actually tried out to be on the Real World! HAHA. Your page looks awesome. So glad I stumbled across it. Yay for being your newest Blog Lovin follower! Drop by. =)

    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!!! I actually had a hard time coming up with a name...it seems like EVERY variation of something or other first grade is being used!!! Thank you for checking it out!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan,
    I have nominated you for the Liebster award for new blogs! If you are interested in accepting, please head over to my blog for the guidelines. I look forward to following your future posts!!
    Elyse :)
    Proud to be Primary

    ReplyDelete